Abstract Submission Instructions
Updated 23 January 2012
The abstract submission system is now closed.
Instructions for Abstract Submission (deadline 20 Jan 2012)
• Abstracts must be submitted in English.
• Submissions from all fields of CF are welcome; however abstracts related to the workshop topics of the Conference are particularly encouraged.
• Do not submit abstracts reporting data already published.
• Abstracts should be as informative as possible and should adequately describe the objectives, methods, and conclusions of the research.
• Case reports are strongly discouraged in the abstract submission system. Case Presentations in specific categories may be submitted via a second submission system - please refer to the separate link dealing with Case Presentations.
• Posters are particularly suitable for presentation of complex data or material requiring extensive illustration. It should be noted that poster presentations carry the same status as oral presentations and will be subjected to the same selection process.
• All accepted abstracts will be presented in poster and e-Poster form. A limited number of accepted abstracts will also be selected by the Scientific Committee for oral presentation in the workshops. Instructions for poster and oral presentation will be included in the abstract notification to corresponding authors after the review process.
• Preference will be given to new and/or ongoing work.
Abstracts are to be submitted no later than: 20 January 2012
Abstracts are to be submitted using the electronic online system – no other submission medium may be used.
As part of the online submission process, corresponding authors are responsible for:
• Ensuring that all authors of a submitted abstract are aware of and have agreed to have the abstract submitted and published, if accepted.
• Acknowledging that the contents of the abstract have not been published prior to the date of submission.
• Understanding that accepted abstracts will be published in a supplement to the Journal of Cystic Fibrosis. Publication is scheduled for June 2012.
• Completing a Conflict of Interest Disclosure Statement:
A conflict of interest is defined as the existence of any significant financial interest or other relationship with the manufacturer(s) of any commercial product(s) discussed in an educational presentation. Corresponding authors will need to indicate whether or not there is a conflict of interest relative to their submitted abstract.
• Abstracts should not contain proprietary or confidential information.
• The presenting author of an accepted abstract must register for the Conference.
Available Categories for Abstracts
Screening & Diagnosis
Cell Biology / Physiology
- Antibiotics (subcategory)
- Pathogenesis (subcategory)
- Diagnosis and Epidemiology (subcategory)
Immunology / Inflammation
Gastroenterology / Liver
Metabolic Complications of CF
Nutrition / Growth
Delivery of Care
Epidemiology / Registry
Online Abstract Submission
The electronic submission and review process has been designed to ensure that no one other than authorised reviewers and the ECFS Administration will have access to abstracts before the publication date.
Each step of the online abstract submission process is accompanied with instructions. Please read these carefully as you navigate through the different steps.
• Corresponding Author: Corresponding authors are required to create a user account prior to submitting an abstract. Thereafter a user name and password will be used for entering the system.
• Maximum Characters: Abstract title, author details, affiliations, and abstract body may be no longer than 2000 characters, including spaces. The electronic system allows for the submission of tables, however please be aware that each row of a table will deduct 50 characters from the total available for your abstract. Images are not to be included but graphs, photos, etc. may be displayed on the corresponding poster.
• Abstract Titles: Titles should be written in Title Case (This Abstract Title is Written in Title Case).
• Authors: Authors’ names are to be entered with a first name and second name and corresponding affiliation. The system will automatically select the initial of the First Name and add a comma between names if there is more than one author. The system will also automatically add a subscript reference to the appropriate affiliation.
• Affiliations: The system will automatically add a subscript reference to the appropriate author.
• Spacing: The abstract body is to be single line spaced.
• Abbreviations: Standard abbreviations are acceptable. Any special abbreviations should be given in parenthesis after the first appearance of the full word or phrase for which it stands.
• Young Investigator Award / Travel Grants: At Step 4 of the abstract submission process, young investigators (under the age of 35) have the opportunity of applying for an award or Travel Grant. Please make sure that you also upload all required documents in your profile overview.
Young investigators under the age of 35 are eligible to be considered for an award recognizing the research work contained in their abstract submission. The award scheme is applicable for all the abstract categories. The Scientific Committee of the 35th ECFS Conference will, as part of the abstract review process, select the abstracts they deem most worthy of this award.
The award recipients will be notified after the review process and will be acknowledged during the conference.
Young European investigators under the age of 35 registered for a PhD or Post-Graduate Degree or graduated within 12 Months are eligible to be considered for an ECFS Travel award. The award scheme is applicable for all the abstract categories. The travel grant is not available for previous recipients of the grant in 2011 (Hamburg).
The selection of the ECFS Travel awards will be made at the Abstract meeting of the Steering committee at the end of February 2012. The grants will consist of a monetary grant of 300 Euro + free registration to the conference and a 2012 ECFS membership subscription.
The ECFS Travel award recipients will be notified in March, after the review process.
Revisions to abstracts after the submission deadline (20 January 2012 23:59:59 Central European Time) will not be permitted. Please proof read your abstract carefully before submitting it.
Only completed, submitted abstracts will be eligible for review. Abstracts remaining in the system as “drafts” after the submission deadline will be discarded. An international team appointed by the 35th ECFS Scientific Committee will review the abstracts. The decision of the 35th ECFS Scientific Committee is final.
Requests for the withdrawal of an abstract must be received in writing by the ECFS before 30 March 2012.